Monday, May 03, 2010

Medan Baru - Northern Sumatran Small Eats: Jakarta, Indonesia

Date:  16 avril 2010
Location:  Jl Krekot Bunder No. 65
Jakarta Pusat

Very, very special ethnic Northern Sumatran small eats!  I was totally elated to be taken here by my very dear and gracious host.  This is one of those local joints that a tourist simply would not know about.  Lucky for me I was in the know, tagging along as a willing visitor eager to try anything new and different that was indigenous to the area.  The experience felt like an episode out of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" - a popular American TV Food Show hosted by Anthony himself as he uncovers the best in culinary cuisine across the world.  A real foodie knows that good food spans the local hole in the walls to 5 stars.  I love finding the casual joints that serve authentic, local tastes.
Here's how this place works.  They quickly place over 17 different small dishes on your table.  You only pay for what you touch.  Anything not eaten goes back to be served to next customers... honor system here!  You can also order their specialty dishes - one of which is a giant fish head.  I may have to go back and try that one next time.  Dying to know the texture of a giant fish cheek!  One of the small dishes was 2 large chunks of fish egg, from this very same fish.  No wonder the fish egg was so large - the fish itself was huge! 

I liken this place to dim sum, or tapas, but Sumatran.  As soon as you sit down, the efficient and friendly staff almost surround you to 1)  place over
Such a feast for the eyes, everything looked tasty!  If you are like me, then you will want to try a little bit of everything!  Oh me oh my, where was I to begin?  My host was no newbie to introducing foods to foreigners.  He explained the ingredients in every single dish, pointing out what made each dish unique to the region... so lucky and fortunate I am...

No comments: