Friday, July 08, 2011

Escargot, Foie Gras, and Chablis: Breakfast in Paris

Date:  vendredi 8 juillet 2011
Location:  George V Cafe, en Champs Elysee
Paris, France

Life can be fantastic.  Landed in Paris CDG this morning and was looking forward to the usual quick zip into Paris' 8th where my hotel is located.  Unfortunately, I had not realized today was also the last day of Fashion Week in addition to something called everyone else in the world's summer vacation travel to Paris.  Two hours later through traffic jams, I arrived at my hotel jet lagged and famished. On top of that, my room was not ready yet since I was still early for check in. 

Instead of being frustrated, I dropped off my bags and sauntered on down to the Champs to see what I would find to make me feel great.  In just a few moments I knew exactly what I wanted...

Escargot, foie gras, and Chablis on the sidewalk.  A perfect breakfast for champions on the Champs Elysee in Paris.  I looked around me and saw that I was really the only person at 11am local time (4am EST the timezone I just came from) eating such a lavish lunch (or just gluttonous!).  Other tourists were shy and ordered simple salads or ham and cheese sandwiches (why!?).  A table of 8 women from Arkansas (actually, 4 mothers and their daughters) sat next to my table and perused their menus (which were translated into English) for over 20 minutes.  One had to appreciate their timid approach toward this very basic French Cafe Lunch Menu... to see what it is like for American foreigners traveling to Europe for their first time.  A few of them stared at the empty escargot snails on my table and the blocs of duck liver which I continued to spread on my toasted bred with fig jam.  Then they watched as I casually sipped on my Chablis, and then my espresso to finish off my breakfast experience.  It was more a look of curiosity and hopeful wishing that they might too one day possessed the same forward approach toward appreciating exotic foreign foods (they obviously haven't been to Asia yet since French food is tame in comparison).  I was reminded once again of what a lucky girl I am indeed.  After a handful of visits to Paris alerady since this Spring (I am losing track), I never tire of my Paris basics.  Foie, Chardonnay, and the simple fromage et baguette.  :)

Tomorrow, I head off to Mosel and Alsace... otherwise known by the pros as White Wine Heaven.  Bon Voyage A Moi!

2 comments:

oakleyses said...

vans pas cher, nike air max uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, north face, michael kors outlet online, replica handbags, ray ban pas cher, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, sac hermes, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, burberry outlet, nike roshe run uk, mulberry uk, coach purses, true religion jeans, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet, ralph lauren uk, lululemon canada, coach outlet store online, hollister pas cher, polo lacoste, nike free uk, guess pas cher, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, kate spade, oakley pas cher, michael kors, hollister uk, abercrombie and fitch uk, ray ban uk, uggs outlet, hogan outlet, nike tn, north face uk, michael kors outlet online

oakleyses said...

iphone cases, longchamp uk, timberland boots, mcm handbags, north face outlet, celine handbags, herve leger, ghd hair, iphone 6 plus cases, hollister, nike air max, wedding dresses, nfl jerseys, p90x workout, ralph lauren, hermes belt, vans outlet, ferragamo shoes, beats by dre, baseball bats, instyler, new balance shoes, giuseppe zanotti outlet, ipad cases, nike huaraches, soccer shoes, nike roshe run, nike trainers uk, reebok outlet, asics running shoes, iphone 6s plus cases, mac cosmetics, mont blanc pens, s6 case, insanity workout, lululemon, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6 cases, north face outlet, bottega veneta, hollister clothing, louboutin, iphone 6s cases, oakley, valentino shoes, abercrombie and fitch, jimmy choo outlet, chi flat iron, soccer jerseys