Saturday, September 03, 2011

Jerusalem, Israel

Date:  samedi 3 septembre 2011
Location:  Jerusalem - The Old City, Israel

Getting around in Israel requires a reliable mode of transportation - a car.  And patience.  For a true city girl like me who has relinquished all driving responsibilities, I love my efficient life which has consisted of nothing more than a few minutes' taxi or subway transport for daily routine.  Or, a hired car service on those longer weekly work commutes.  San Francisco, New York, Paris, Taipei, Hong Kong.  All efficient cities.  Israel - is not. While it is an extremely formidable country quick with the bombings and hyper intelligence, on the other hand, everything else takes longer than it should... I almost wonder if I am in an Amish country.  

So, this Israel driving bit is a nuisance that I just have to suck up and accept the fact that I will lose a few hundred hours of my life these next months due to my daily work commute.  There are slow trucks everywhere blocking your way.  Dust on the roads and highways.  Unreliable GPS systems due to this Hebrew Semetic language...  Not to mention the huge, bright, sun that can get annoying after awhile.  That's okay, I will make up for that by eating and drinking grand in Israel on weekends and enjoying this Mediterranean lifestyle (probably why everything moves more slowly), to offset all that.

Naturally, I eagerly took advantage of my hotel's free guided tours that are offered every Saturday.  For me, that also meant a free 2-2.5 hour bus ride where I could sit back and relax in air conditioned, shaded comfort.  Yay!  This particular Saturday was a visit to Jerusalem, the Holy City.

It was a good time traveling the day with other business travelers staying in Israel for the weekend due to work.  Most were from US, and a few from Asia (China and Taiwan).

What I can say about Jerusalem and the Old City is that it is an interesting and mysterious place...  the sights, the smells, the sounds, the history, the many different cultures that come here all for spiritual strength and hope.   And of course, just plain tourists.  Walking these very old streets, touching the walls that have stood here since the days of Jesus... it is really hard to believe and a lot to take in all in one afternoon.  And then, walking the small streets and steps of the Old City... all the spices and colorful trinkets, little curios that all have some small story or belief behind them (never mind that they are mostly all made in China...).  Of course, I also could not escape the feeling that I was in a bazaar just waiting to be haggled...  I did not buy anything (took pictures of the Made-In-China souvenirs instead), and bought a large cup of freshly squeezed Pomegranate juice for 20 shekels ($6 USD?).  Probably expensive but whatever, I needed my dose of San Franciscan hipster freshly squeezed fruit juice.

 Walls...

More walls... reminded me of the Forbidden City in China...  but different.  :-)

The Wailing Wall, where people come to pray and insert a paper with their prayer written on it into a crack in the wall.  Men's side and women's side is separated.  Not supposed to take pictures but anyway...  

Love this play on words!  Holy Rock Cafe...  actually had very good espresso here!  Made the Arabic style.  

Beautiful mural of Jesus being buried... inside the main entrance.  

Old and new... right outside the Old City!

Inside the Old City... all the sights and smells... so many things to look at.  

Jerusalem.