Friday, January 13, 2012

I ♥ Cafe Breakfasts in Tel Aviv!

Date:  vendredi 13 janvier 2012
Location:  On Ben Yehuda, between Benedict and the small green grocery store
(in true Israel fashion, I'll just omit the exact street coords and simply swag it!)

Outside temperature:  11C/52F, Rainy

I <3 cafe breakfasts in Tel Aviv.   I love the cafe culture here in Tel Aviv.  Anywhere on Ben Yehuda, Dizengoff, Rothschild, etc., you will find loads of small cafes with charming small plates prepared with the obvious fresh, local, simple ingredients.  This late morning, after my usual Friday manicure pedicure at French salon, strolled over with a fellow ex-pat friend of to see what was good and warm to fill our tummies.

We happened upon this small cafe - name slips my mind as it was in Hebrew (I know, I know, Ulpam soon!).  But it is exactly between Benedict Cafe and the little green grocery store.  You can't miss it.

We were quickly seated (must need for those out til 5am in need of food and drink stat) and served complimentary hot apple mulled cider with spices.  This time of year in January finds Tel Aviv a bit wet and rainy - Soledad's favorite kind of romantic, cozy, San Franciscan weather.  The hot drinks were happily appreciated.

Complimentary bread was served, and soon my light morning vegetarian breakfast of leek pancakes and chickpea salad was brought to us.  We also ordered the shakshuka, which was one of the better ones I have had here in Israel so far.  It was simple, clean, and not laden with grease.  Good for San Franciscan Soledad fine palate.

We lazed over a good, clean casual lunch over conversation replaying last night's events and sharing our collective experiences here thus far as foreigners.  So much experienced in past few months, so many insights, so many observations, viewpoints constantly in flux, Israel amazing for these experiences YES!  Let's see what the future brings.

After we left and strolled back past the cafe, the manager ran to chase me down - informing me that my friend had left his credit card behind earlier.  Wow.  I love this kind of honest behavior.  Friend was extremely appreciative too.  I will definitely be back.  And frankly, the food is tastier than Benedict (more savory, more local), and there isn't the wait.  Stress free breakfast/brunch dining.  My kind.

As I write this at 17:00 local Tel Aviv time... I hurriedly press "Publish Post" as I finish off some work and then get ready for Friday Shabbat dinner with an adoptive host family (thank you for taking me in, you know who you are!).  I promised to bring some amazing wines to please their wine collector Father's palate.  Let's see if I can impress!  You with me @http://www.pwmwine.com/?  Oh yes, I think you are.   ^_^

3 comments:

Jesse Becker, MS said...

Wow! That food looks delicious!

Soledad Bleu Etoile said...

It was! and walking around corner from my house, gotta love that! strolled over in lazy mission style grungy garb and unwashed hair. yah. :)

Fili said...

Nothing beats a good Shakshuka on a crunchy freshly home baked bread in the morning. I miss that very much.