Sunday, November 15, 2009

202 Chelsea Market: NYC

Date:  dimanche 8 novembre 2009
Location:  202 75 9th Avenue
New York, NY   
Tel:  (646) 638-0115
http://chelseamarket.com/202/

There is nothing quite like strolling through the hip, stylish, east-coast preppy feel of New York City Chelsea Market.  It reminds me of the Embarcadero in San Francisco - yet spiked up a few solid heavy notches in urbanite character and charm.  Think dark worn brick, heavy original wood floors, bright art, NYC denizens with sassy pea coats, stylish women with not-too-contrived coiffed hair, sharp men in sexy jeans and perfectly designed facial hair...  so many things to see, feel, touch, smell.  Endless eye candy for the senses. You just feel young and cool walking around Chelsea Market.  


Left:   Delicious scone that the three of us shared while waiting for our fabulous brunch...



As a weekend visitor to NYC, I have no idea where to begin tasting food and wine.  Unlike SF where the food in general is very good and wine is plentiful, NY has soooo many restos that one could waste a lot of time and money on less than average restaurants.  Luckily, I was in the great hands of fellow foodies friends Sandy and Henry - San Franciscans who have since relocated to NY for a number of years now.  We have similar palates, so I knew that I would not be disappointed. 



We went to Sunday brunch at 202 Chelsea.  I did not know what to expect other than being guaranteed a tasty experience and fun time reconnecting with S&H.  202 Chelsea is a chic, all-day cafe/brasserie and Nicole Farhi clothing and homewear products boutique.  I wasn't quite sure what to make of the store/cafe concept - but, it works! The wait was long - as is any delicious brunch place in SF or NYC.  Sandy and I toured the Chelsea Market while Henry waited back for our table (too tired and hung over to window shop with us I suppose). 

Left:  French Toast with bacon...  the texture of the French Toast was like magic - very thick (2 inches I am willing to bet!) and sooo soft, spongy, and fluffy.  I do not know how they get all that AIR into their toast.  Delightfully yummy with the maple syrup that was served.  The bacon - SAVORY and of course left me wanting more.



The food is savory, amazing, and memorable - as are their to be remembered Bloody Marys and cup of morning joe.  I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting NY - I actually like this place better than my coveted Toast Eatery in SF.  <-- YES you read that right!  A good change of taste and scenery was well appreciated.  






Left:  Cinnamon Raisin French Toast with Apple Sauce.  Terribly delicious!


Left:  Classic English Breakfast with poached eggs, sausage, mushroom, heirloom baby tomatoes, bacon, and potatoe.  Completely drenched in savory tastes that coat your entire palate..   the best sausage and bacon and tomatoe I have ever had.  The perfect bite - with the tomatoe, potatoe, and runny poached egg.  Thank you, Sandy and  Henry, and thank you, NEW YORK! 

2 comments:

Sandy said...

looks so good it's making me hungry!!

satin bed set said...

The food is savory, amazing, and memorable - as are their to be remembered Bloody Marys and cup of morning joe. I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting NY - I actually like this place better than my coveted Toast Eatery in SF. <-- YES you read that right! A good change of taste and scenery was well appreciated.
factory sewing ,
usa sewing factory ,