Sunday, December 06, 2009

Delfina Pizzera, Fillmore: San Francisco

Date:  dimanche 6 decembre 2009
Location:  2406 California Street
San Francisco, CA
http://www.delfinasf.com/


Clean, quintessential San Francisco-style pizza and salads.   This means seasonal ingredients.  Stopped in for a quick last minute Sunday lunch.  It has been remarkably cold this winter in San Francisco... wool sweaters everyday and turtlenecks or wool scarves are needed.  Heading to a little bustling Delfina was a nice idea to temporarily help me forget that the weather outside was gloomy and cold!


Their online menu changes daily (just slight variations based on what fresh ingredients are available from nearby farmers markets).  So if you are looking for a particular dish (ie, me and my pizza with the runny egg on top), be sure to review their daily online menu first.  Else you will miss out on it ... twice I missed out already.  I am used to it.  I just as well assume that I will never have a chance to eat that pizza again!


Today I tasted the following:
Vitello Tonino Salad - Chilled Vozzi Farms Veal Breast, dandelion greens (I thought dandelion greens were out of season, so maybe these were not organic), anchovy dressing.  I thought the dressing was too thick and heavy which further added to the weightiness of the veal.  I liked the anchovy flavor, yet might suggest it a bit less salty.  This veal salad dish made me want a glass of red vino QUICK to offset the tangy, heavy, veal/anchovy dressing. 

4 Formaggi Pizza - Tomato, mozzarella, fontal, provolone and pecorina pizza.

Vino to taste - Sangiovese "Terre degli Osci" Borgi di Colleredo.  basic table wine... didnt do much for my palate.  astringent alcoholy nose, bit sour cherry/plummy on the palate, and flat finish.































1 comment:

Sandy said...

Oh... I miss Delfina. The pics look so good!