Friday, May 27, 2011

2007 Domaine Bernard Ange Crozes-Hermitage

Date Tasted:  jeudi 26 mai 2011
Location:  New York


"Northern Rhone to the rescue" quotes my similar palated friend upon reading my blog.  100% Syrah and opens with LOADS of complexity and character!  A great bargain for the price conscious - and I love the fact that this wine still has my brain thinking on it the next day.  I am a big fan of Crozes Hermitage Appellation of the Northern Rhone, and usually these wines are also very affordable. 

The first time I took the nose on a Crozes Hermitage (blind) - my senses immediately woke up.  I still remember that summer day, two days of intense blind wine tasting over 22 wines in very quick succession with 6 Master Sommeliers as my mentors.  Wow, what was this???  Intense dark berries, smoky (I almost want to say inky), extremely round fragrance that reached into the backs of my nose and eyes, if I can describe it that way!  And my first taste - incredible.  The best way I can describe the taste of this wine, as I dared think in that class full of 100 other blind tasters, is that it is similar to chewing on a big, red, juice, rare roast beef steak with fresh cracked Tellicherry peppercorns!  However do not mistake - this wine is not your super fruit forward California style Syrah that punches you in the mouth and leaves little on the last to remember.  This is a French Syrah - smooth and velvety, opening up with sophisticated layers of typical French style complexity with a very long, elegant last.  Juicy, spicy, violet, black wild berries. 
 
Thank you Peripherique and Jesse B, for making this splendid recommendation.  My palate has been tantalized once again.
http://www.pwmwine.com/2007-Domaine-Bernard-Ange-Crozes-Hermitage-p/07001750.htm

I plan on trying the 2009 Domaine Combier Crozes Hermitage next!
http://www.pwmwine.com/2009-Domaine-Combier-Crozes-Hermitage-p/09031750.htm

No comments: