Monday, May 16, 2011

Gatto Milano: MILAN

Date:  samedi 7 mai 2011
Location:  via Castel Morrone, 10
Milan, Italy
Telephone:   +39 02 70006870

Naples, France, and Mediterrenean all fused into one.  It was Saturday in Milan and I spent most the day lazing about in bed in my hotel room.  By 6pm I was finally determined to get myself out of the hotel and to find someplace to eat.  Dial in Milan friends?  I was too lazy to start calling people and coordinating or tagging along last minute.  So I reviewed a Milan blog that I bookmarked from my last trip in Milan... http://labellacitta.com/ and chose Gatto because it sounded a little kitchy (crooks and curios) with homestyle rustic Italian cooking with Mediterrenean flair.   

I ordered 3 appetizers (at which the server said to me "ehhh... too muuuchuh!!!"), 1 entree... dessert, and a bottle of wine.  All just for me!  It was a lot of food but what can I say, I want to try everything on my last Saturday in Milan!!

This place makes their own breads daily.  Their breads alone are worth a visit to the restaurant.  Especially the Tarallini bread (the small round ones that look like Cheerios!).  I ate two plates by myself, they are addictive.  For those "gluten-free" - you are missing out. 

There is an open viewing kitchen, and the young chefs are pretty hot too.  Greaty eye candy!

Anyway, I drank half the bottle, was totally full (too full in fact, I hate that!), and caught a cab ride home through the Milan night to finally pass out on my hotel bed.  Good night! 

Tarallini bread!!!  Like Cheerios. :)))))




Orto di mare: small eggplant flan served w light anchovy cream sauce and few fresh anchovies marinated in EVOO and lemon.



Octopus.  Too big and chewy... I did not like this one much.  :'((

Perfectly al dente how I luv u so.  Guico di gamberi:  spaghetti setaro pan fried in garlic, EVOO, and chilly peppers w crunchy cockroach from sea.


Alici del cuore:  millefeuiles fresh anchovies marinated w citruses and carpaccio of courgettes, served w pesto sauce of mint