Monday, May 16, 2011

Carre des Feuillants: PARIS

Date: samedi 14 mai 2011
Location: 14 rue Castiglione
75001 Paris
Telephone: +33 01 42 86 82 82
http://www.carredesfeuillants.fr/index_en.html

Michelin 2 star, with my girlfriend Monique.  It's one thing dining out with the boys.. another experience entirely when just with the girls.  Especially an intimate 1:1 dinner when with a fellow food wine snob (Burghound Sommelier Elizabeth Harcourt, this is pointing at you!). 

I had just had a divine lunch experience in the Alain Ducasse's Le Jules Vernes earlier that afternoon.  As per my usual European modus operandus, I took a brief siesta that afternoon (in my perfect hotel room with a picture perfect view of the Eiffel Tower!), then hopped into a taxi over to the First Arrondissement to meet my Chinese-French girlfriend, Monique.  Somehow it never surprises me that I meet up with my closest friends more frequently internationally than stateside.  Monique and I had lunch about a month ago in Paris... however we had not seen each other in over a year prior that since she was hopping around London and me everywhere else...  How luvly to meet with her again, and this time over a proper dinner!! 

Chance had it that I would dine here at Carre des Feuillants this evening, due to a last minute reservation recommendation by a good friend.  Walking in, the environment definitely conjures up Parisien Michelin Star style atmosphere.  Sophisticated, quiet, muted sound insulation, orderly, and at least one if not usually two hosts greeting you as soon as you walk through the door. 

Our 1997 1er Cru Leflaive Puligny Montrachet Les Pucelles was memorable... though overall softer than I had anticipated.  Perhaps that was a nice touch for a soft landing considering the steely minerality from the Grand Cru Chablis I had for lunch which still resonates in both my palate, my brain, and my spinal cord.  Good for a Premier Cru, this Puligny Montrachet... though part of me guiltily almost dares to say that this wine was a bit on the flabby side... missing that strong steeliness and structured acidity that I look forward to always.  The label was covered with dirt, and the sommelier said "yes, from our cellar..."  I absolutely love vintage hints for wine labels...  something about waiting patiently for perfection, and seeing the weathered age on the label...  I like to pretend that this bottle was found in the trenches of some pirate's treasure chest in a sunken ship.  :))))  Anyhow... overall it was a nice bottle. 

Killer wine list... I would expect nothing less from my good friend Sebastien Khoury of Domaine De Baal Wines (http://www.domainedebaal.com/) who recommended this place when I cried out for last minute help due to another reservation being cancelled.  The wine list here is extensive with many white burgundies to pair with the many fish dishes on the menu.  I recommend this place as a dinner venue since the ambiance is dark and cool inside - so as not to waste away a beautiful sunny Spring Paris day inside. 

I know this sounds strange, but my favorite dish of the evening was the Orange Pancake Dessert... see below!

Dining room, with fun, happy art on the walls... cheerful watercolors on canvas.

Olives~!

View out toward the main entrance area.

Name brand water... I took the Wattwiller home so I can use the bottle at home for my drinking water.  :)

Appetizer... duck 3 ways.  Foie in the middle, jelly in the left... and some other way on the last....

Super cute mini baguette!!!

 I <3 butter!!

1997 1er Cru Leflaive Puligny Montrachet Les Pucelles - dirt covered label, I absolutely love that!!

Salmon...

Wild turbot, caviar, broccoli semolina, and squid ink rice!!!

 Best end of suckling lamb from "les pyrenees" the sweetbreads slowly cooked in clay creamy watercress and potatoes. 

I forgot what this was.... :)  Some kind of chocolate cake sitting in chocolate pow.

Then a green tea concoction poured over it... quite YUM!

Little puffs of creme bruelee, apple tart, and violet.  My favoritewas the violet!

My favorite of the eve:  Oranges from the cap sweetness, filled pancake (orange blossom jelly, saffron, and cloves marmalade).  WOWOWOW!!!!!

 And finally, un cafe due to my Italian habits. :)))

4 comments:

oakleyses said...

nike air max, replica watches, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses wholesale, replica watches, christian louboutin, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, gucci handbags, nike free run, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, sac longchamp pas cher, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, burberry pas cher, nike free, prada outlet, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, nike air max, nike roshe, polo ralph lauren outlet online, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren, polo outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin uk, michael kors pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses

oakleyses said...

vans pas cher, nike air max uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, north face, michael kors outlet online, replica handbags, ray ban pas cher, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, sac hermes, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, burberry outlet, nike roshe run uk, mulberry uk, coach purses, true religion jeans, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, sac vanessa bruno, coach outlet, ralph lauren uk, lululemon canada, coach outlet store online, hollister pas cher, polo lacoste, nike free uk, guess pas cher, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, kate spade, oakley pas cher, michael kors, hollister uk, abercrombie and fitch uk, ray ban uk, uggs outlet, hogan outlet, nike tn, north face uk, michael kors outlet online

oakleyses said...

hollister, louis vuitton, hollister, wedding dresses, barbour, canada goose, canada goose, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, ugg pas cher, links of london, converse outlet, ugg, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, ray ban, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, moncler uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, nike air max, supra shoes, swarovski crystal, moncler, montre pas cher, doudoune moncler, ugg uk, moncler outlet, barbour uk, converse, gucci, replica watches, moncler, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, pandora jewelry, swarovski, moncler, lancel, pandora charms, canada goose jackets, coach outlet, canada goose, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada

satin bedsheet said...

Chance had it that I would dine here at Carre des Feuillants this evening, due to a last minute reservation recommendation by a good friend. Walking in, the environment definitely conjures up Parisien Michelin Star style atmosphere. Sophisticated, quiet, muted sound insulation, orderly, and at least one if not usually two hosts greeting you as soon as you walk through the door.
web developer vancouver ,
website development vancouver ,