Saturday, October 10, 2009

El Farolito Mexican Food: San Francisco

Date:  mardi 6 octobre 2009
Location:  2779 Mission St
(between 23rd St & 24th St)
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 824-7877

Hole in the wall, juicy junket of a mexican taco joint.  Authentic tacos.  Your choice of flour or corn tortillas (I choose corn!).  They grill their meats on an open grill where you can see the mouth watering fatty juices drizzling off the side of the grill...  I first came here a few year ago on Halloween 2007?  My old buddy Min came to visit SF (his old stomping grounds) from HK/Shanghai for a quick R&D tour of his favorite restos.  Min is a restaurateur in Asia with 3 going on more establishments.  I remember that day well - we busted through the Mission one school day afternoon and ripped through 2 mexican joints short of 30 minutes.  We were on a tasting frenzy.  I still have that photo of Min SO HAPPY to be reunited with these little juicy tacos that he sees in his dreams!


El Farolito has amazing meat - the usual seasoned beef, pork, beef head, beef brain... shrimp, etc.  It is seasoned well and the flavors do not ever leave your memory.  I actually want to go down to the Mission district right now and grab a cheap pork taco for lunch (pictured top Left).  They are indeed evilly delicious. 

I am also a big fan of their pork or beef quesadillas (left photo)!  Anyhow, I deliberately came here this night with my Mexican friend visiting from Cabo San Lucas, originally from Mexico City.  I wanted him to tell me if the food at El Farolito was authentic or not?  He nodded feverishly that YES, the tacos were indeed authentic.  Burritos, not so much.  Quesadillas, he said were good but nothing special and he could make it better at home - spoken like a true food master and wine sommelier, dear Christian!

No comments: