Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pork Tenderloin & Figs, with 2004 Ch. Montelena Estate at Russian House: San Francisco



Ahhh sometimes it is just necessary to pair the food with the wine - vs the wine with the food (against everything the Master Court has taught me).  I had a gorgeous 2004 Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Cabernet Sauvignon sleeping in my wine cellar.  It was purchased at Costco, at about 30$ less than retail from K&L Wines.  The Montelena earthy-berry aroma is very concentrated, showing lovely, classic Cabernet, warm earth and sun baked cassis with licorice and spice. On the palate there is integration of strong, deep, concentrated fruit in a perfect balance. Super fine tannin grips the palate, with ripe, round flavors that dance right on the seam between classic Bordeaux and California styles.  Being a young 2004 vintage, the Estate Montelena really can stand to be aged beautifully for another 20 years.  I decided to take my changes against my own greedy will.  



Rack of lamb was in order, however it was nowhere to be found at moment's notice.  Still, I was not going to change the wine (had my heart set on opening it).  So... next up was a delicious pork tenderloin.  It was marinated in a citrus/spicy sauce made with orange and lemon citrus, salt and pepper, and some kind of pepper.  Perhaps a pairing with a Pinot Noir or Gewurztraminer would have done well here too but what the hey, sometimes working outside the box with food/wine pairings just has to be done!  Served alongside the pork tenderloin was baked organic black mission figs.  And of course, signature heirloom tomatoes in the basic beautiful extra virgin olive oil.  

Oh!  I had also called in an order of Tartine fresh baked country bread loaf the day prior.  Anyone who is a local in SF knows that a tall meal is in order when Tartine fresh bread is brought to the table.  It is a special treat and warms the tummy while fulfilling the chewy, mastication cravings of the mouth.  



The pork came out beautifully from the oven.  It was a perfect, juicy, tender, light pink in the middle.  JUICY.  I was lucky to be sous chef once again - cooking meats makes me nervous and becomes a big production for me (from my nascent cooking perspective).  The pairing of the pork with the figs was TRES EXCELENT.  Honestly, I was DELIGHTED to be surprised with the fig pairing, as we are dangerously nearing the end of fig season!  CRISIS! Every last bite I can get of these scrumptious ovally/round little gems of fruit from now until their season's end, I shall savor romantically!



Now for the wine.  Ahhh.  Well, the age old adage always rings true.  Good things comes to those who wait.  Alas, I should have waited another 5 years at least before opening this young bottle.  It was just SHOUTING "potential."  Granted, it still tasted beautifully - yet, I could tell that the full nose and tasting notes had not even begun developing.  Still far too young to be opened in 2009... sitting on loads of screaming potential. 

Regardless, dinner was grand.  And - I was sure to pass out no less than 30 minutes after eating.  Maybe even snoozed off into a light snoring slumber.  But, I guess I would not know! 

Bon appetit a moi meme !

No comments: