Monday, October 26, 2009

Tom Yum Soup, Shao Style ^^: San Francisco



Online recipe (NOT SHAO'S):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_yum


Wooweee!  Finally I have been hanging out with my cool neighbor more often.  Usually we just hear each other slamming doors.  Lucky chap got to take care of me drunk this past Friday night.  Then he was a good sport in attending a surprise birthday party with me this evening at Matrix Fillmore in the Marina.  Now, same evening, I am sitting in his living room working remotely on my laptop (while stealing my own wireless internet through the wall lol).  He is cooking a pot full of delicious Tom Yum Thai Soup!  WOowowowow!  I had no idea he was such a fantastic cook!  

So, I am sitting here on his couch, tearing strips of fruit roll ups that he gave me to snack on @_@.  He is busy in his kitchen, chopping, mixing, washing, stirring, checking on ingredients.  I am just working away ... but before I know it, amazing aromas keep wafting my direction!  WHAO.  It smells like some exhilarating South East Asian kitchen here.  I mean seriously, I can close my eyes and just pretend what it must be like in Bali, Bangkok, or maybe even Cambodia and Vietnam.  The refreshing fragrant aromas of lemon, lime, lemongrass, chicken, .....  boiling away - my senses are awakened!!  Maybe if some trickling water was running, and some spa music was playing, I would truly feel I was in another world!! 



Tom Yum soup is a famous and delicious Thai style sweet and sour soup.  It is my favorite Thai soup.  Shao's recipe has the following ingredients (let me shout to him now and ask...).  Water, lemon, lime, onions, chicken broth, tomatoes, shallots, lemon grass, galanga (ginger like thing), fish sauce, oyster mushrooms, fresh thai chili.  SO GOOD!!  Just missing tamarind as per Shao, but I do not think even the restaurants use tamarind (expensive).  His version apparently is the finer version of Tom Yum.  I have never had Tom Yum at King of Thai or any other Thai restaurant that contained as many super ingredients as Shao's.  

I do not have the final outcome photo, as I am leaving to go home before the final product has finished cooking.  Boohooo.



I have never tried cooking Thai food.  It is so tasty - yet requires far too many ingredients!  And, I am lazy.  I included photos of his soup in the process...  I won't be trying it tonight but maybe he will invite me over later this week to have a taste!  ^^  Will update with final photos if so!






No comments: