Friday, October 23, 2009

VIN12 "NO PINOT" Pinot Parade Urban Wine Retreat: San Francisco

Date:  jeudi 22 octobre 2009

Location:  55 2nd Street, San Francisco
http://www.vin12.com/



The theme of this month's wine retreat was "Pinot Parade."  What this supposedly meant, as per their website marketing blurb is "Enjoy over 50 different wines including a variety of Pinot Noirs from Santa Cruz, Sonoma, Napa and select VIN12 producers from throughout California."  

I won't write too much about this event... not much to say.  We were amused that there may not have been more than 2 or 3 Pinots in sight.  We tasted a bunch of other whites, roses, and reds... all Californian save for 2 Italian wines (prosecco and dolcetta).  My visit to Abruzzo, Italy earlier this month spoiled my taste buds - so the 2 very average Italian wines at this event were not too great.  

However, the best thing of the evening was reconnecting with my friend Zach.  The last time I saw him was for my Birthday.  The good sport showed up to my bday drinks at Disrict back in February... too bad I got so drunk I don't remember much from that evening.  But, it was a blast from what I remember, and woke up with many mystery bruises.  I have known Zach for going on ten years now... one of those intelligent, creative, considerate folks.  Well educated (a Georgetown baby) and well traveled.  And apparently has an amazing palate for wine.  

I did really like this 2006 Charles Krug Merlot, though.  Enough that it bears mentioning!  It is their Mondavi Family Napa Valley Merlot - balanced, rich and polished with ripe currant and black cherry flavors.  This fine wine offers a supple tannin structure and a medley of vanilla, chocolate and spice notes in its lingering finish.  $20 retail!  I liked it because it was BOLD and had a HUGE personality, and left a memorable spicy long finish on my palate - I would have guessed it to be a Cabernet... which indeed this wine upset quite a few merlot/cab afficionados because of its betraying character.  I loved it.  


Here is a great photo of Zach sitting meditatively, wondering where the hell the Pinot Noir was.


See you again soon Zach! 






No comments: