Thursday, October 01, 2009

Toast Eatery: San Francisco


Yummy Date:  jeudi 1 octobre 2009 
Location:  1748 Church St
San Francisco, CA 94131

Tel:  +1 415 282 4328
http://www.toasteatery.com/ 

I love this place.  Dropped in around 8am for breakfast at my favorite non-touristy breakfast joint.  Located in Noe Valley off of the hustle bustle, it is a place one can enjoy their first meal of the day amongst other local San Francisco peeps of diverse origins and interests.  Today I ordered something unusual.  Also known as a "Boring Breakfast."  Usually I will have cofffee, cup of fruit, and some melange of eggs florentine, coco loco pancakes (pancakes made wtih coconut shavings and macademia nuts), or lately I have actually been ordering their classic burger.  I have been a faux vegetarian for the past 3 years, however am trying this "diet by blood type" thingy.  Anyhow - Toast Eatery has consistent, FRESH, and savory dishes.  The foods are served looking clean and bright, and cooked healthily, pure quintessential San Franciscan style. 


It is the ONLY breakfast/brunch place I will EVER go to in San Francisco.  Well, I take that back.  I would go to Toast or the Ritz Carlton (actually have nott been to the Ritz yet but I have heard many accolades before).  For the ambiance and price point, I much rather go to Toast.  I can show up in sweats and flip flops, unwashed hair, no makeup, sunglasses, and the gals at Toast - Areej especially - still greet me with smiles and always know that I start with a fresh cup of coffee and cup of fresh fruit.   I have this self developed theory that one can judge the quality of a brunch place by its fruit plate.  So far I have never been wrong.  Crappy fruit will yield you an even crappier brunch with 2 day old coffee.  No.  We want freshly brewed coffee from freshly ground beans no less than an hour prior.  And because I am such a spoiled foodie, I know where to get freshly ground, hand pressed espresso in San Francisco.  AKA "Beautiful Coffee" vs "Ugly Coffee."  However, a true foodie sometimes never reveals her little secrets.  ^^  Ahhh that little gem shall remain just for me.   Oh, and yes, Toast does indeed have the most gorgeous seasonal fruit.  Come on guys, it is not hard to procure fresh fruit in SF.  Be like Toast!


Earlier this summer, a group of us were meeting up for breakfast before driving/riding down to the Motorcycle Grand Prix in Carmel, CA.  Some twitwit suggeseted Ella's on California Street.  My emailed response:


"Let it be known that I HATE Ella’s.  I refuse to so much as step inside that poor excuse of a breakfast joint.  They better watch out or I’ll get my nasty little fingers on yelp and write up a real nasty scathing review.  Totally inconsistent quality, poor service, unsavory and unhealthy foods.  The only thing consistent about that dried up joint is the lack of quality all around.  This is why I don’t yelp – I could really derail some rip-off places.  If their prices were cheaper, I’d excuse them.  For those prices I’d rather go eat at Toast (which is cheaper and 200% better) or take myself to Ritz Carlton for guaranteed quality and service.  Please don’t ever say the name ELLA in front of me.  It really makes my blood boil.  Meow."  That's right.  In other words, do NOT go to Ella's.  Ever!  


LOL.  Yes, we are freakishly fanatic about our food here in SF.

No comments: